Wednesday, January 27, 2021

How the Nyonya Series came to be...

The original 5 pieces sent to A+ Gallery in Penang

Before I joined forces with Ruzanna on MiRuMakes, I had started Little Pink Factory circa 2015, accepting cross-stitch commissions for wedding and family portraits. 

Shortly after, with the help of a dear friend of mine, she managed to secure me a spot in an art gallery in Penang, where I would send my work in on consignment. And because Penang is my hometown, this held an even more special meaning to me. I thought long and hard about the series that I would debut in this gallery. I wanted something that would represent Penang and also myself. Eventually, I combined the local heritage of the ‘Baba & Nyonya’ that Penang was so famous for with my love of kitchenware. The result? A collection of Nyonya themed vintage items that you would find in Penang, back in the days.

The original collection consisted of Kopi-holic, Chicken-ware, Kitchen, Sambal-licious and Tiffin-y & Co. This development also led to me being featured in a local daily newspaper and even interviewed on national TV for a lifestyle segment! 

Then, a friend from school got in touch and ordered this Nyonya collection, but asked if I could design another in place of the Kitchen one. Thus, Teh-riffic was born! 

I'm very thankful that the series was very well received and eventually decided to make them into kits so more stitchers can enjoy them 😊

Of course, it then made sense to bring these designs over to MiRuMakes as it fit our design aesthetics. Last year, we decided it was time to expand our series and we've added Ke SiaNah, Ke Sini, Soupy Coal-ition and Mould It!.


We hope you love our Nyonya series as much as we enjoyed designing them for you 💕 For tips and tricks on how to do some of the embroidery stitches and framing your piece in a hoop, stay tuned to our blog; we will be posting about those soon!

xoxo, Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Hello to our Deepavali Sampler!

Deepavali, a.k.a. the Festival of Lights, is celebrated by those who embrace Hinduism.  We must confess, since neither Ruzanna nor I celebra...